National Library Week, which takes place from April 11-17, is a weeklong celebration that recognizes contributions that libraries and librarians make to society and raises awareness of libraries within their communities. Harper College Library will be taking part in the festivities in several ways:
Harper College Library Book Sale
Come browse through the thousands of books that will be on sale during the Harper College Library Book Sale. Books will be $1 each or $5 for 6. There will be a special sale during Library After Dark (Thursday, April 15 from 5:30-8pm) when books will be sold by the pound for very, very cheap. (Did I mention that they’ll be cheap?).
Dates and Times:
Tuesday, April 13th from 10:00am to 6:00pm
Wednesday, April 14th from 10:00am to 6:00pm
Thursday, April 15th from 10:00am to 8:00pm
Photo credit: Mike Baehr
Recycled, Re-imagined, Reused Book Contest
Create something new and fun out of something old. Turn your old books into a unique handcrafted item. And get prizes while you’re at it!
Harper College students, employees, and community members are invited to submit entries for the Recycled Book Contest, which will take place during the Library After Dark Open House on Thursday, April 15 (entries are due in the library between 5pm to 6pm that day).
1. Use an old book that is ready for recycling (circulating library books are not to be used or harmed for this contest).
2. Use any creative technique to create your work of art.
3. Deliver and set up your entry on Thursday, April 15 between 5 and 6 pm.
4. Open voting will take place between 6pm and 7:30pm on April 15.
5. Winners will be announced between 7:30pm and 8pm.
6. Award winners receive the following:
- First place: Library gift bag filled with goodies: 4 movie tickets, library tee-shirt, 2G flash drive, book light
- Second place: Library tee-shirt, book light, and 2G flash drive
- All entrants will receive a participation prize.
Go to the National Library Week research guide to download an entry form, which is due no later than 10pm on April 13. Entries will be judged by popular vote during the Library After Dark Open House.
Photo credit: Günther
Photo credit: Rebecca Nichols
Photo credit: Becky Striepe
Art Mural Contest
We are now accepting entries for our blank wall down at the Checkout Desk. The mural panels are 20″ X 24.” The theme is Your Favorite Reading Material. All entries will be voted on during the Library After Dark Open House (Thursday, April 15th, from 5:30pm-8pm). Winners will be notified within a week of judging and all mural panels are to be completed by the end of the Spring Semester. Ask a library staff member for an entry form or download it from the National Library Week research guide.
Library After Dark Open House
APRIL 15, 2010 from 5:30pm-8:00pm at Harper College Library
Library After Dark will be a great chance to get to learn more about your library and your library staff. Here are all of the activities that are scheduled:
- Create your own READ poster
- Share a favorite memory about libraries/books in the video booth that we’ll set up
- Vote for your favorite Recycled Book Contest entry
- Vote for your pick for the Library’s Art Mural Contest
- Leave your mark in the library with a book review that we’ll hang on the Tree of Knowledge
- Enter the READ poster scavenger hunt contest
- Participate in the hidden recycled origami crane contest
- Enjoy refreshments
FUN! FOOD! PRIZES!!!