Archive for the ‘National Library Week’ Tag
Theatre Club presents: Scenes from Neil Simon’s THE GOOD DOCTOR–Wednesday, April 11 @ 11:45 am Leave a comment
On Monday, April 9th as part of National Library Week, the Harper College Library will be hosting “A Conversation with Melanie Benjamin,” best-selling author of the historical novels Alice I Have Been and Autobiography of Mrs. General Tom Thumb. She will answer questions in a forum moderated by Erin Brooks, Harper College Media Relations Manager, and will sign copies of her books, which will be available for sale as well. This event will take place on the lower level of the Library beginning at 7:00 PM. Admission is free to students and the public, and refreshments will be served.
Although our Library After Dark Open House has come to a close, we still have dozens of origami paper cranes hidden around the library (I guess we were too good at finding hiding spots for them). If you find one, bring it to the Reference Desk– you can still claim your prize!
Photo credit: code poet
Thanks to everyone who participated in our National Library Week festivities. About fifty people participated in our Library After Dark Open House– voting for their favorite Recycled Book Contest entry, creating a READ poster of themselves, being interviewed for the new library YouTube video, going on scavenger hunts, finding origami cranes, buying books at the Library Book Sale, eating good food, winning prizes, and having fun!
Here’s a look at some of the entries that were submitted to the Recycled Book Contest:
After some careful tallying of votes by our librarians Michele Ukleja and Jim Edstrom…
Our first place winner was… Mary Warner, with her hand crafted and altered book creation:
Our second place winner was… Carol Thomas, with a photo frame that she created using an old book cover:
Congrats, and thanks again to everyone who participated and helped make this year’s Library After Dark a success. To view more photos of our Library After Dark activities, check out our Flickr photo stream.
Come one, come all to the Library After Dark Open House on Thursday, April 15, 2010 from 5:30pm-8:00pm at Harper College Library. It’ll be the capstone event to our National Library Week festivities.
At Library After Dark you can:
- Buy books for $0.25 (that’s not a typo– books will be 25 CENTS!) at the Library Book Sale
- Create your own READ poster
- Share a favorite memory about libraries/books in the video booth that we’ll set up
- Enter the Recycled Book Contest
- Vote for your favorite Recycled Book Contest entry
- Vote for your pick for the Library’s Art Mural Contest
- Leave your mark in the library with a book review that we’ll hang on the Tree of Knowledge
- Enter the READ poster scavenger hunt contest
- Participate in the hidden recycled origami crane contest
- Enjoy refreshments and prizes (in other words, free food and giveaways!)
What are you waiting for? Come on by!
Photo credit: Jeff Maysh